Tuesday, November 14, 2006

swinging london

So we're learning about London in the 60s in class, which is SO COOL. It definately was (and is) the IT city. After spending hours in the British Museum, going to British sporting events, and watching fireworks on Guy Fawkes... London is like home! But I still act touristy at the same time... it's quite strange really.
So I'm WAY behind in updating this thing! It's like a job! So basically, on week 10 I went to the British Museum to find all my key items! This has become like my second home (that's the Egyptian Sculpture Gallery, where my group ALWAYS is). It's so cool since it's free!
That week, we also had Halloween, but some of my friends and I stayed indoors and made baked goods! We watched this TV programe called 'The Ghosts of the Underground', which was pretty freaky. I'm getting a little scared just thinking about it!!! The rest of our program went to the Sports Cafe, but I didn't go because 1. I didn't have a costume, 2. It was all people from California, and 3. I'm weaksauce when it comes to the FREEZING temperatures here!The Great Court
The Rosetta Stone... I wrote a paper on this!
Inner tomb and Shabti boxes (that's all GOLD!)
That weekend we went to Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare's birthplace)! The bus ride there took us through Oxford, but we didn't get a chance to get out of the bus :( We saw Shakespeare's grave at Trinity Chapel and got a tour of the town. We also got to see Shakespeare's house!!! The weird thing is that Stratford has all these major name brand stores, but they're set in these little shops! The best part of the day was seeing the Taming of the Shrew, which was different because there was lots of humor in the costumes too. The two daughters were basically in drag, and one of the servants had his pants cut out so when he turned around there he was! lol...Shakespeare's GRAVE
More graves outside the chapel
The River Avon

That night was Guy Fawkes night so we went out to see fireworks on the Chelsea Bridge! It was soooo cool being out on the Thames with the rest of the city on the LIT up bridge!Katie and me watching the fireworks
The girls of flat 12!
OOOH AHHH
On the way back home, we took pictures at Trafalgar

What else... the last week some girls and I went to a CHELSEA FOOTBALL game! They were the Champions last year and practiced at UCLA! I must admit, that's the main reason why I like them. It was so much fun... I miss going to sporting events, although I hear UCLA football is a mess this year. We sat like ten rows away from the front, so you could see their SWEAT. My favorite player is #8 Lampard! He did a corner kick right in front of us. One of the best parts was eating at NANDO'S ^_^, the chicken place that will always be in my heart (since it was the first meal I had in London). This FANATIC football fan was right behind me the whole time, screaming chants and singing. It was fun trying to sing along with the other middle aged MEN. The stadium was full of testosterone. We won, 4-0 against Aston Villa, and since we sat on the side of the goals, we saw THREE of the goals!
Getting pumped up for the game!
Balls did come flying overhead
The Chelsea boys after a GOOOOOOAL!!!
Blurry picture of Super Frank
Better shot of Lampard :)
Action shot

I also went to my first RUGBY game too! My flatmate Phoebe plays for the best women's team in the country! It was pretty cool watching all these huge girls beat each other up on the field... one girl got her leg broken! YIKES! I totally felt like a proud mom taking pictures more than paying attention though :)
They do this crazy thing to throw the ball up where they lift a person up to catch it!

3 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LoLz i'd be too scared to watch girl's rugby... they might crush me randomly =*( hahahah considering how most of them r a lot bigger than i am!! O_O

 
At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with jon.. haha
-toucan

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cooooooool! shakespeare's house?!?! rosetta stone?!?!! OOOOOOH and AHHHHHHHH =D oh yeah, and i'm heading home either the 19th or the 14th. right now it's set for the 19th, but i'm trying to change it to the 14th. hahaha how bouchoo??

<3 Q

 

Post a Comment

<< Home